16/02/2010

Another Broken Tool

At the weekend I broke yet another mallet.

That's 2 broken in the last few weeks and there's nothing more annoying than breaking a mallet!


You kinda get attached to them, esp if it's a good one that feels just right. It becomes an extension of yourself and experiences some great moments. This recent one had only experienced Karlsruhe, but my previous had been good to me, for nearly 6 months - that's a lot of polo.


On the topic of mallets, after Karlsruhe, Todd and I were taking particular interest in what style the top guys use. From what we saw, a lighter mallet with a multi purpose head appears to be the way forward. Such a mallet enables more precise plays, better ball control, as well as harder hitting capabilities. With this in mind, I'm in the process of getting the right tools and materials to make a more progressive mallet.


In the meantime, I'll be playing with one of these new Fixie Inc Mo mallets. They're not perfect (the shaft is weak and the heads not capped) but they are very well made. I love the recessed fittings and clean machined out holes.




We'll see how long it lasts.

No comments: